ArtScience: Integrative Collaboration to Create a Sustainable Future
“The acute problems of the world can be solved only by whole human beings, not by those who refuse to be, publicly, anything more than a technologist, or a pure scientist, or an artist. In the world of today, you have got to be everything or you are going to be nothing.”
― Conrad Hal Waddington, Biologist, Philosopher, Artist and Historian
Authors: Robert Root-Bernstein, Todd Siler, Adam Brown, Kenneth Snelson
To stimulate discussion about where new arts and sciences should intersect, we propose an overarching synthesis we call “ArtScience.”
- Everything can be understood through art, but that understanding is incomplete.
- Everything can be understood through science, but that understanding is incomplete.
- ArtScience enables us to achieve a more complete and universal understanding of things.
- ArtScience involves understanding the human experience of nature through the synthesis of artistic and scientific modes of exploration and expression.
- ArtScience melds subjective, sensory, emotional and personal understanding with objective, analytical, rational, and public understanding.
- ArtScience is not embodied in its products so much as expressed through the convergence of artistic and scientific processes and skills.
- ArtScience is not Art + Science or Art-and-Science or Art/Science, in which the components retain their disciplinary distinctions and compartmentalisation.
- ArtScience transcends and integrates all disciplines or forms of knowledge.
- One who practices ArtScience is both an artist and a scientist simultaneously, and one who produces things that are both artistic and scientific simultaneously.
- Every major artistic advance, technological breakthrough, scientific discovery and medical innovation since the beginning of civilisation has resulted from the process of ArtScience.
- Every major inventor and innovator in history was an ArtScience practitioner.
- We must teach art, science, technology, engineering and mathematics as integrated disciplines, not separately.
- We must create curricula based on the history, philosophy and practice of ArtScience, using best practices in experiential learning.
- The vision of ArtScience is the re-humanization of all knowledge.
- The mission of ArtScience is the re-integration of all knowledge.
- The goal of ArtScience is to cultivate a New Renaissance.
- The objective of ArtScience is to inspire open-mindedness, curiosity, creativity, imagination, critical thinking and problem-solving through innovation and collaboration!
In summation, ArtScience Connects. The future of humanity and civil society depends on these connections. ArtScience is a new way to explore culture, society and human experience that integrates synaesthetic experience with analytical exploration. It is knowing, analysing, experiencing and feeling simultaneously.